KR TRAINING MAY 2014 NEWS
2014 SUMMER CLASSES
CHUCK RIVES KNIFE & IMPROVISED WEAPON CLASSES
Guest instructor Chuck Rives is returning Sunday, May 18th to offer his 4 hour Improvised Weapons course and his 4 hour Reverse Grip Knife courses. Slots are still open.
WEDNESDAY NIGHT USPSA MATCHES AT THE A-ZONE
KR Training and the Chicken Ranch Shooters USPSA club (LaGrange, Texas) will be running USPSA format matches at the A-Zone range every Wednesday night in June. The matches will be limited to 18 shooters, and all participants must pre-register online and pay their $15 match fee in full in advance. 3 stages, 75-90 rounds per match. Shooting will begin at 6 p.m. and run until 9 pm or dark. We will use open squadding so late arrivals are OK. More details here. Registration links will be announced via the TXIPSC list and KR Training Facebook page.
TAKE YOUR DAUGHTER TO THE RANGE DAY
Austin Rifle Club will be holding a Take Your Daughter to the Range Day on June 14th from 9 am to 1 pm. This is a FREE event open to ARC members and guests. Pre-register by June 7th to be entered into a drawing. Contact Amy Jost to register and to get more information. KR Training is a proud sponsor of this event. We have donated NRA Basic Pistol books and other NRA materials. Thanks to Howard Nemerov and Grace Garne for their assistance with KR Training's donation to this event.
HANDGUN COACHING CLASS
On June 21, a new course (Handgun Coaching) will debut. This 3 hour course is for people who completed Basic Pistol 2, CHL or Defensive Pistol Skills 1 who felt that the pace of the classes were too fast, that wanted more time or more repetitions on drills to feel comfortable with the techniques, had problems specific to their equipment (difficulty racking the slide, loading or ejecting magazines, locking the slide open, holster issues), or want help learning how to disassemble their gun or clean it. The new course will be limited to 8 students and will have a slower pace and lower stress than our regular courses.
NRA PERSONAL PROTECTION OUTSIDE THE HOME & DPS-3
We will be offering the NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home course for all students, and the NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor course, over a 3 day period from June 28-30. Day 2 (6 hours) of the NRA PPOTH course is the same as our DPS-3 course.
Here are all the options available:
(1) Students can take Saturday PPOTH only, as an 8 hour standalone course, and get an NRA PPOTH certificate. That 8 hours of training is equivalent to taking our DPS-1 and DPS-2 courses. For graduates of DPS-1 and DPS-2, it's an excellent review/refresher with slightly different drills. If you've taken DPS-1 with us in 2014, you can get a $50 discount on the Saturday PPOTH course.
(2) Students can take Saturday and Sunday PPOTH and get the enhanced NRA PPOTH certificate for the 14 hour course. This is equivalent to taking DPS-1, DPS-2 and DPS-3. Those attending on Sunday will also shoot the NRA Defensive Pistol qualification test.
(3) Graduates of DPS-2 can take the 6- hour block on Sunday and get a DPS-3 certificate from KR Training and an NRA Defensive Pistol certificate.
(4) Instructor candidate that have already taken the 14 hour official NRA PPOTH student course (no equivalent training can substitute) can attend the Sunday and Monday instructor sessions and get their PPOTH instructor rating.
(5) Instructor candidate that have never taken the NRA PPOTH course have to attend all 3 days to get their PPOTH instructor rating. Instructor candidates must be certified NRA Personal Protection IN the Home Instructors to attend.
ADVANCED TRAINING 5 (REVISED) and DPS BACKUP GUN
Two other rarely-offered courses are on the schedule this summer. We have updated the AT-5 course to be a 50/50 split of live fire and force on force, with drills updated to use our new shoothouse and additional drills conducted in and around vehicles.
The DPS-1 "BUG" class is a chance to use that little gun (in any caliber) that you'll be carrying in your pocket all summer - that gun you never practice with because it's no fun to shoot, but it's the one you are betting your life on. It's important to train with what you actually carry. You will shoot the NRA Defensive Pistol certification test during this course.
KR TRAINING SHOOTING TEAM NEWS
KR Shooting Team member Tim Meyers and KR assistant instructor and Shooting Team member Dave Reichek turned in a dominant performance at last weekend's inaugural Oilfield Classic USPSA Level 2 match near Hempstead, Texas. Tim and Dave swept 1st and 2nd place in the Production Division's "A" classification, and placed 6th and 8th overall, respectively, in the Production Division overall standings. Video from Dave's match. Video from Tim's match.
The KR Training team racked up a few more wins at the Cowtown Classic Level 2 USPSA match near Cresson, Texas. Tim Meyers won A class, and Roy Stedman was 2nd Master.
- Texas State Rifle Association voting guide to May runoff elections
- What happens to my carry gun if I'm injured in a wreck?
- Student AAR from Defensive Long Gun class
- Study shows concealed carry deters murder
- Open letter from 1st Lt. Patrick Cook about the Ft. Hood shooting
- "Smart guns are dumb" (from National Review)
- Good sources of data on deadly force incidents
- Grooving Bad Habits
- Mental imagery boosts shooting accuracy under threat
- Interesting things in the NYPD firearms report
- Armed good guy comes to aid of purse-snatching victim
STUFF FROM HSOI (blog highlights)
- Why 2 (knives)
- What are YOU doing about it? (neighborhood crime)
- April 5 Long Gun classes AAR
- Engagement Distances
- Hearing Protection
- April 26 DPS2/AT2 AAR
- Pepper Spray 101
- Six Reasons You Will Lose a Street Fight
- May 3 BP1 AAR
We look forward to training you in 2014!
Karl, Penny and the KR Training crew