KR TRAINING MARCH-APRIL 2015 NEWS
Hot weather is coming. We have loaded up our schedule in April and May with great classes covering every aspect of self defense. Come train with us while the weather is perfect.
April 11 - Handgunning Beyond the Basics / Competition Pistol 1
April 25-26 - Combative Pistol 1 (Tom Givens)
May 2 - Basic Pistol 2 / Defensive Pistol Skills 1
May 16-17 MAG-20 Classroom (Massad Ayoob)
May 30 - DPS Back Up Gun / Personal Tactics Skills
May 31 - Defensive Knife Overview / Improvised Weapons (Rives)
June 6-7 Unthinkable (Rehn/Causey/Aprill)
Check the 2015 schedule page for more details.
IRONS, LASERS, RED DOT STUDY
KR Training, in partnership with the Texas A&M University Huffines Institute will conduct a study of human performance in pistol shooting, comparing shooter ability to get fast, accurate first shot hits using iron sights, green lasers, and slide mounted red dot sights with and without backup iron sights. We'll be collecting data at many upcoming classes and events, and as part of our presentation at the national A Girl and a Gun conference in April.
The purpose of the study is to compare shooter performance with slide mounted red dots and green lasers against iron sights, to assess these emerging technologies. Most of what has been written about these topics has been based on anecdote or individual experience. Our goal is to collect a large data set from which meaningful conclusions can be drawn.
TOM GIVENS - RANGEMASTER COMBATIVE PISTOL 1 APRIL 25-26
Over the past 7 years, Tom has had 63 students successfully defend themselves in incidents where shots were fired, with a hit ratio of over 90%- both numbers significantly higher than any other trainer. This 16 hour, 2 day course will challenge and improve your gunhandling and shooting skills as well as improve your mental preparedness to succeed in a lethal force incident.
MASSAD AYOOB - MAG 20 CLASSROOM MAY 16-17
Due to high demand for this course we've moved it to a larger venue - the Landmark Events Center in Giddings. This course should be considered essential for any armed citizen. The 20 hour lecture class goes into significant detail covering the legal and psychological aspects of armed self defense.
MAY 30 & 31: BACKUP GUN, TACTICS, KNIFE and IMPROVISED WEAPONS
If you carry a small gun during hot months, you should take our Back Up Gun class. It's 4 hours of material similar to our DPS-1 class, focused on the challenges of small guns and drawing from pockets, belly bands, packs and other methods other than a belt holster. That afternoon we'll off our Personal Tactics Skills course, which focuses on managing unknown contacts and vehicle situations. Then on Sunday, Chuck Rives returns to teach two short courses in Defensive Knife and Improvised Weapons.
UNTHINKABLE: CONCEPTS AND TECHNIQUES FOR THE GRAVEST EXTREME
On June 6-7, we debut a new course. Unthinkable brings you 3 instructors: Karl, Caleb Causey (Lone Star Medics), and William Aprill (Aprill Risk Consulting). This two day course includes lecture material about criminal behavior, unarmed skills, medic skills, team tactics skills, low light skills, taught with drills and applied in live fire and force on force scenarios. William Aprill is a full time mental health professional with extensive law enforcement and civilian training credentials who has insight into both the violent criminal mind and the armed citizen mind. He's been a frequent presenter at the annual Polite Society/Rangemaster conferences, and a guest on multiple Ballistic Radio episodes (12/21/2014, 11/2/2014, 7/28/2014)
If there's a specific class in our catalog you would like us to offer this summer, let me know. We plan on offering morning classes, cutting back on afternoon courses in July and August, and running some weekday evening pistol matches and Skill Builder sessions to give students opportunity to practice and apply what they've learned.
- Rare video of Col. John Boyd teaching about the OODA loop he created
- Interview with Bob Stasch veteran of 14 gunfights
- Officer involved shooting video (graphic)
- Mental illness and crime
- Concealed carry should be no big deal. Car keys, wallet, pistol. Good thoughts from Caleb at Gun Nuts Media
- In depth article about trigger manipulation
- What can go wrong when your finger is in the wrong place when you slip
- Worn out leather holster causes discharge, injury
- new book on Texas gun law from Texas Bar Association
- student AAR from multiple sessions, including the KR Training/Lone Star Medics session, at the 2015 Polite Society conference
- Claude Werner on the reasons why people don't train.
- 3 rules of magazine management
- 20 tips for better shooting
- 45 guns stolen from Austin couple
- 12 ga shotgun cutaway video shows operation in detail
- New study assesses off-target trigger finger placement and ready positions
- A rare case where someone had time to go back to their car, get a gun and return to the incident in progress
- Lone Star Medics 2015 conference AAR. I will be going next year.
- Class AAR from our recent ECQC course. We will be bringing Craig back in 2016.
We look forward to training you!
Karl, Penny and the KR Training crew