KR TRAINING JUNE 2015 NEWS
Summer's here! It's hot, but at least it's not raining.
JUNE 27th SPECIAL OFFER
Sign for both Defensive Pistol Skills 2 and Skill Builder on June 27th and get both (a $120 value) for $90! This is a great deal. DPS-2 is suitable for anyone that's passed our DPS-1 course, anyone that's taken a Rangemaster or other 2 day course from us, or anyone that has completed an IPSC or IDPA match safely.
A-ZONE SUMMER SCHEDULE
June 27 - Defensive Pistol Skills 2 / Skill Builder (Rehn)
July 11 - Beyond the Basics (Rehn)
July 18 - Basic Pistol 2 (Hogel)
July 18 - Advanced Training 4 (Rehn)
July 24-26 - Rangemaster Instructor Development (Givens)
August 1 - Defensive Pistol Skills 1 (Rehn)
August 15 - Advanced Training 6 (Rehn)
August 22 - Competition Pistol 2 (Rehn/Stedman)
Check the KR Training 2015 schedule page for more details.
Check the Schaefer Academy page for their Basic Pistol, Basic Rifle and CHL class schedule.
AT-4 and AT-6 CLASSES
In July and August we'll be offering our two highest level live fire courses: Advanced Training 4 (Pistol Skills Development) and Advanced Training 6 (Pistol Workout). These courses are great for those ready for more challenging drills, and competitors wanting to tune up the skills needed to win matches.
TEXAS GUN LAW CHANGES
Several major changes to Texas gun law were passed during the recent legislative session. Texas CHL instructors will get training from DPS this fall in all the details. We'll share that information with you as we receive it.
Open carry does not become legal until Jan 1, 2016.
- No more worrying about getting in trouble for "printing" or momentary gun exposure when carrying concealed
- No need for concealment garment in warmer weather
- Significantly increased risk that visible gun can be grabbed by anyone within arm's reach.
- Highly likely to cause people to treat you differently when carrying in public.
Anyone planning to open carry should have a quality retention holster (Safariland yes, SERPA no), and some training in weapon retention techniques. Outside of rural areas and special situations where the majority present are known, trusted and/or gun friendly, open carry is not recommended.
Campus carry does not become legal until Sept 1, 2016.
Universities get to define where campus carry is legal and where it is not. These policies will likely not be consistent across all schools. Make sure you know the specifics for the place you intend to carry. Open carry will not be legal on campus. Do not expect details to be available until very close to the start date of 9/1/2016.
KR TRAINING SHOOTING TEAM
At the recent Double Tap Championship, Roy Stedman placed 4th GM in Limited, and Tim Meyers was 5th GM in Production. Three KR Training graduates: Tina Maldonado, Tracy Thronburg, and Tracy Talbot will be representing the national "A Girl and a Gun" organization at the IDPA World Shoot in September 2015.
GUN STUDY PROGRESS
We are 80% complete with data collection for the scientific study we are doing comparing shooter performance between iron sights, red dot sights, and green lasers. We'll continue collecting data through the summer, with plans to analyze and write up the data this fall.
Many of the same trainers that are part of the annual Rangemaster Conference will be teaching a Paul-E-Palooza 3, August 15-16th, in Garretsville, OH. The event is a memorial benefit for the children of late instructor, Paul E. Gomez. The event will consist of a weekend of training hosted by instructors from various fields, including self-preservation, edged weapons, medical, security, and more.
Like the Rangemaster Conference, this event is a fantastic value: $300 for two days of training with top tier instructors. Registration information can be found at the event website.
ARMED CITIZENS LEGAL DEFENSE NETWORK DISCOUNT
The ACLDN is offering a $25 discount to KR Training students on their first year of membership. As many of you know we had a student involved in a shooting incident back in January. He called ACLDN on the day the incident occurred, and the network lawyer assisted him through the entire process with the police and the courts. (The case was no-billed by the grand jury in early June.)
If you already have one of the other legal services, ACLDN can work with them to fill gaps not covered. I've been an ACLDN member since the organization started and recommend it without reservation.
To get the discount, contact me before you send your first-year membership materials to ACLDN. More information about them can be found on their website.
- AAR from June 13th BP2 and DPS-1 classes (Hsoi blog)
- Instructor John Daub's recently blogged about his thoughts on the legal, social and tactical aspects of open carry with a coda.
- Common Sense Guide to Gun Rights (TTAG blog)
- A new Standard for Handgun testing (TTAG - content I contributed to)
- Structured Practice (Tactical Professor blog)
- Texas gun bills summary (Suburban Dad Survivalist blog)
- Jerry Miculek shoots the double barreled 1911 (The Firearm Blog)
- Louisiana passes elementary school gun safety education bill (sponsored by former IPSC competitor Blake Miguez, now a state representative) (Guns.com blog)
- Houston TV station advocates firearms for home defense (Click2Houston)
- Lessons learned from an officer involved shooting (TTAG blog)
We look forward to training you!
Karl, Penny and the KR Training crew