KR TRAINING JANUARY 2014 NEWS
MORE 2014 SPRING AND SUMMER CLASSES
The latest schedule is here. We've added a bunch of classes to the schedule, including more sessions of Basic Pistol 1, Basic Rifle 1, Basic Pistol 2, and Defensive Pistol Skills 1, along with sessions of Defensive Long Gun Essentials, Skill Builder, Beyond the Basics, and Competition Pistol. We will be adding more classes to the calendar for May-August in the next 30 days.
Our friend Leslie Buck at Tactical Arts also has some unarmed and knife short courses planned for the spring.
MASSAD AYOOB MAG-20 - March 8-9, $450
We will be hosting Massad Ayoob in March, for his 20 hour MAG-20 classroom course. It will be held at the Norris Conference Center at Northcross Mall. Cost is $450 because tuition includes a catered lunch each day.
Mas is the #1 expert in the country on armed citizen legal issues. There isn't anybody else in the training business that offers anything similar. If you train with Mas and you get into a shooting incident, he will come work on your legal defense if needed. It's not poor marksmanship or a slow draw that results in criminal charges; it's doing or saying the wrong thing, or shooting the wrong person. The core topics of the MAG-20 course are covered in the Texas CHL curriculum, but MAG-20 goes into much more detail and depth.
This course is a special event, possibly a one-time opportunity to attend without having to travel out of state. This is Mas's first class in Austin. We strongly encourage you to take advantage of this rare training opportunity.
Registration for the MAG-20 course is through KR Training. Use "guest instructor" as the course name. $225 payment required.
Several KR Training instructors will be taking the 3 day "Civilian Response to Active Shooter" course taught by Paul Howe at his facility near Nacogdoches, Texas at the end of January.
Karl will be presenting again at the 2014 Polite Society conference in Memphis in late February. Caleb Causey and Leslie Buck will also be presenting at the conference. The conference is sold out.
Karl and Penny will be presenting multiple sessions at the 2014 "A Girl and a Gun" conference in Waco, March 20-23. Slots are still open in the conference, which will include classroom and range training events.
Caleb Causey's Lone Star Medics is hosting the 1st annual Field Medicine Conference in Dallas, March 29-30, with session tracks for professional medics and laypeople. Like the "Polite Society" and "Girl and a Gun" conference, this conference is yet another great training opportunity to learn from multiple national level instructors over a busy weekend.
- The "herd them into the back" scenario from AT-2, in real life
- Denver police shoot hostage taker in front of 7-11
- Surveillance video of criminals approaching a victim in Houston before they beat him with a tire iron
- Texas CHL data shows what happens in the "Wild West" (low crime)
- How Good Are You? (link to Mike Seeklander shooting skill test)
- more "why not" about the SERPA holster from pistol-training.com
- Texas DPS switching to M&P 9mm pistols
- Fascinating data analysis of 1400+ responses to CHL equipment survey
- Walther PPQ M2 review by recent KR Training graduate
- Fire Extinguishers vs. School Shooters - an option if no firearms are available
- 10 New Year's resolutions for gun owners
- The definition of insanity (excellent analysis)
- Pro shooter and new mom Julie Golob releases "Shooting While Pregnant" e-book with advice for expecting mothers
- IN police chief shoots self for second time
- Body-cam video of 'suicide by cop' shooting in Idaho
- Article about Austin-area eye doctor who caters to shooters (I have my glasses set up the way this article describes, and it's worked great for me)
- Retired police captain kills noisy texter at "Lone Survivor" screening
- Judge orders new range in Creedmoor shut down for 9 months
STUFF FROM HSOI (blog highlights)
- A shopping list for the new shooter
- What are you getting into?
- Goodbye Sprouts (anti-gun business)
- Snagmag (new kind of mag carrier) (more about Snagmag from TTAG)
- Quote for today
- Austin's crime rate
- It happens in seconds, but you'll pay for a long time
Looking for a 3 gun shotgun? A KR Training graduate (Austin area) has a Mossberg 930 for sale. 24" Blackwater edition + a bunch of upgrades. $1100. Contact Kurt Gruber at firstname.lastname@example.org for details and links to videos of the gun in operation.
We look forward to training you in 2014!
Karl, Penny and the KR Training crew